FOOTBALL WITH A HEART 2013 RAISED OVER $540,000 IN AID OF NINE BENEFICIARIES
- Football With A Heart 2013 (FWAH), a charity fundraiser event co‐organised by Singapore Pools (Private) Limited together with its i‐SHINE Staff Volunteers, Football Association of Singapore (FAS) and Singapore Sports Council (SSC), ended on a high note with cheque presentations to nine beneficiaries totalling $540,000. His Excellency President Dr Tony Tan was the guest‐of‐honour at the Celebratory Dinner held on Wednesday, 28 August 2013 at the Singapore Flyer, following an intense 5‐a‐side football tournament among 40 corporate partners at the Jalan Besar Stadium last Saturday, 24 August 2013.
- FWAH aimed to raise funds for the disadvantaged through sports, and this yearʹs football tournament far exceeded the initial target set at $400,000. The beneficiaries receiving the donation amount of $540,000 were:
FWAH 2013 Beneficiaries
Presidentʹs Challenge 2013
Apex Harmony Lodge
Singapore Children’s Society
Society for the Aged Sick
Society for the Physically Disabled
- The donation amounts were allocated by the corporate partners, after a pitch made by each of the beneficiaries of their causes and programmes on 25 July 2013 at Livewire (Marina Bay Sands).
- Team OCBC was crowned FWAH2013 champion after overcoming Team UOB in the semi‐finals and Team HP in the final match after 9 gruelling hours of intense competition. The three winning corporate football teams honoured at the dinner were:
- Team OCBC, winner of the FWAH Championship Trophy;
- Team Keppel, winner of the FWAH Plate sponsored by Asia Pacific Breweries Singapore, to and
- Team EY (Ernst and Young), winner of the FWAH Bowl sponsored by StarHub.
- Over $540,000 was raised for charity, far exceeding the initial fundraising target of $400,000 ($350,000 was raised in 2012, which exceeded then fundraising target of $250,000).
- About 1,200 participants including football players, partners, supporters, beneficiaries, volunteers and organisers brought Jalan Besar Stadium alive on Saturday, 24 August 2013.
- 700 footballers from over 40 organisations played 201 matches during nine hours of competition.
- A record 50 women football players made their presence count on the pitch alongside the male football players. Any team who fielded a female player for not less than 5 minutes enjoyed a strategic 1‐goal advantage.
- First time professional football venue, Jalan Besar Stadium, hosted an amateur corporate football tournament.
For media enquiries, please contact:
Presentation of Donation Cheque to Beneficiaries by Mr Winston Lee,
FAS General Secretary and Mr Tan Soo Nan, Singapore Pools CEO:
Donation cheque of $30,000 was presented to Mr Abdul Malek Bin Osman, President, AIN Society
Donation cheque of $45,000 was presented to Mr Gan Boon Jin, Vice Chairman of Managements Committee, Apex Harmony Lodge
Donation cheque of $30,000 was presented to Mr David Chan, General Manager, Caring Fleet
Donation cheque of $55,000 was presented to Mr Chew Loy Cheow, Honorary Treasurer,Society for the Aged Sick
Donation cheque of $75,000 was presented to Mr Abhimanyau Pal, Executive Director,Society for the Physically Disabled
Donation cheque of 40,000 was presented to SportCares ‐ Mr Lim Teck Yin, CEO, Singapore Sports Council, flanked by Suhandika Bin Sapie and Sundramoorthy from SportCares
Donation cheque of $150,000 was presented to President’s Challenge ‐ Mr Chan Heng Kee, Permanent Secretary for the Ministry of Social and Family Development, Co‐Chair of the President’s Challenge Steering Committee
Presentation of Trophies to Winning Football Teams by President Tony Tan and Mr Richard Seow, Singapore Sports Council Chairman:
FWAH 2013 Challenge Cup (winner from 1st & 2nd finishers from Group Stage) was presented to representative from Team OCBC
FWAH 2013 Challenge Plate (winner from the 3rd & 4th finishers from Group Stage)
sponsored by APB was presented to Team Keppel –
Mr Kumaravelu Thevar s/o Vatival, Keppel Corporation
FWAH 2013 Challenge Bowl (winner from the 5th & 6th finishers from Group Stage) sponsored by StarHub was presented to Team EY – Mr Max Loh, Country Managing Partner, Ernst & Young